Defended and Expanded Gun Rights
Governor Fallin is a strong defender of the 2nd Amendment. She is a gun owner, a member of the NRA, and has a conceal carry permit. She not only protected gun rights for Oklahomans, she expanded them, by signing into law "Open Carry" legislation.
Governor Fallin: A Pro-Gun Leader
- “A” rating from the National Rifle Association
- As governor, signed legislation broadening the “stand your ground” laws that protect gun-owners engaged in self defense
- Signed legislation broadening the rights of conceal-carry permit holders and established “open carry” in Oklahoma
- In Congress, submitted "friend of the court" briefs to the Supreme Court in both the Heller and McDonald cases, stating that the Second Amendment guarantees a fundamental, individual right that protects all Americans.
- Opposed re-enacting the Clinton semi-auto ban.
- Voted to protect access to federally-owned or administered lands for hunting, fishing, trapping and recreational shooting.
“I’m a gun owner, a proud member of the NRA, and a hunter. In my hometown, we grew up with guns. They are part of our heritage and our way of life, and that way of life is protected by the United States Constitution. I won’t ever let Washington trample on our liberties. As governor, I’ve been proud to not only protect – but to expand – gun rights for law-abiding citizens.”
-- Governor Mary Fallin